An email contact strategy defines:
- Triggering event, e.g. basket abandon
- Goal of the communication
- Interval before email sent, e.g. 2 days after previous email
- Key messages and visuals in different containers in the email
- Personalised elements, e.g. based on product browsed before abandon
It is powerful since different email types can be delivered to the recipient in the context of their interaction with a website, so they are more effective.
A contact strategy often includes email, but can also include direct mail or on-site messages.
Contact strategies for email can be implemented in marketing automation or CRM systems, but there are many dedicated providers that integrate with other systems like Mailchimp or Microsoft dynamics. Examples of dedicated systems include:
Smart Insights resources giving more detail guidance and a template to develop a contact strategy include: